Thursday, December 29, 2011

V's carry-along doll house

Many of the things I pin on Pinterest are things I want to make for my 1-year-old cousin, V. As one of her Christmas presents this year, I wanted to make her a doll house she could carry with her wherever she went.




The idea came from uklassinus' tutorial which can be found here:http://uklassinus.blogspot.com/2008/08/fabric-dollhouse-tutorial.html



I also found a pin that linked to a flickr album overflowing with photos of many different versions of these doll houses:http://www.flickr.com/photos/cub_libre/4233037877/in/pool-603430@N20/





I worked my butt off on this one!




I followed uklassinus' tutorial steps, but since I had more types of fabric than she did I stepped off the path a bit and then found myself in a terrible place! I fixed my mistakes by using bias tape to line the exterior sides of the panels, and then sewed the house together like that. I think it turned out fine, but I was very frustrated for a little while!


Here are some shots of the outside of the finished house:




(The front door and a side window)






(The other side window and the backyard with a tree and fence)











The felt embelishments on the inside were all done free-hand and then hand-sewn to the correct panel with embroidery thread before the house was put together. I decided to make a living room with a couch, side table, rug, and fire place. The part of the house that folds out becomes the front yard which has a wood path and a duck pond.


The little dolls are also made of felt and I cut their pieces free-hand, based on the finger puppets pinned from here:http://www.etsy.com/listing/60111943/5-puppets-for-jessica-delivery-after


V was really excited about her house so all the hard work was worth it! In the future I might consider attaching the dolls to the house with a length of ribbon because they were "lost" a few times in the hour or so we played with them, but they always turned up again after a few minutes of searching.I'm really happy with how this Pinterest-inspired project turned out, and I will be attempting it again in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment