Monday, January 16, 2012

Loaded Potato Nachos

We don't cook potatoes very often at our house, but as I scanned my Pinterest recipe boards THIS jumped out at me and then nothing else sounded as good so I gave it a try.

First of all, I am a purely visual person, and it drives me nuts when a recipe calls for something that is "medium sized" and I don't have any clue what medium really means. So, for those of you who are also visual learners, here's what I started with. 3 "medium" potatoes:
And here's another visual for how thin/thick I cut the slices, because telling me to cut something into 1/16 inch pieces does NOT help me out at all.
After slicing all 3 potatoes into relatively uniform rounds I laid them all out in a single layer on a baking sheet. I melted some butter in the microwave and then brushed the rounds with it, adding salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I was afraid I would over season so I ended up under seasoning it, and I really wish I had the sea salt grinder I used to have before I broke it because that flavor would have been amazing. I'll have to buy a new one soon. I flipped them all and brushed and seasoned the other side as well. Here's a picture of them right after they went in the oven because I forgot to take one before and didn't want to take them out once they were in.
Meanwhile, I also used another Pinterest idea from HERE where I learned that baking bacon is the only way to go. I lined another baking sheet with heavy duty foil (foil is the best kitchen clean-up helper ever), laid out the bacon, and baked it for 10 minutes (while the potatoes were already in there). In the future I would definitely add a wire rack to raise the bacon up and keep it from festering in it's own grease. yuck.
While the potatoes baked for a while I chopped up all the toppings. Regular onions, green onions, and the bacon after it came out of the oven. I also chopped up a fresh tomato and had some shredded cheddar ready to go.
After the potatoes were starting to get crispy I covered them with all of the toppings except the tomatoes and let them bake until the cheese was melted.
Look how amazingly delicious it looks!!! You can't even imagine how great it smelled. Not to mention how fabulous it tasted. Wow. I'm loving these potatoes!
Next time I would probably cut the slices a bit thicker so that it was more potato-y and less crunchy by the end, but these were definitely a hit! I added the fresh tomato and then dipped them in ranch dressing (because I can dip pretty much everything in ranch dressing) but you could also top your serving with sour cream or anything else you usually put on a baked potato. YUM

No comments:

Post a Comment