Monday, January 16, 2012

Ruffled T-shirt Pillow

My sister's birthday was in October, and I made a pillow for her newly re-decorated bedroom. This was actually my first Pinterest craft attempt but for some reason I didn't start posting about things in order so it's only coming up now. Oh well.

There are TONS of projects on Pinterest that use old T-shirts. I don't think many people realize that you don't HAVE to use an actual T-shirt to make these projects. It is perfectly possible and acceptable to go to the fabric store and buy jersey knit material off the bolt to do any project that calls for T-shirt material. Some things (like infinity scarves) need the round, continuous shape of a T-shirt but if you don't mind a seam then off the bolt works for that too.
Anyway. HERE is where you can find the tutorial for the ruffle pillow I made. (and I'm proud to say that I finally figured out how to imbed hyperlinks into text. No more messy, mile-long urls. YAY! It was embarrassingly easy to do. oops.)

To make this pillow, I started with a cheeeeeeep-o white T-Shirt that I found on clearance at Wal-Mart. (I mean cheap in price, not quality. It's actually a very nice shirt!)
I followed all the directions exactly as they gave them in the tutorial except that I don't have a rotary cutter so I just did it with some plain-old scissors. I have to admit that I am very much an eyeball-er instead of a precise measure-er so my cuts don't turn out PERFECTLY, but I don't mind!
Here are some pictures of my finished product:

My sister really liked it and it sits in one of her fancy new chairs :o)

I would definitely make one of these again and I might vary it by making the ruffles wider, or maybe using pinking shears to cut the strips so that there is an extra detail added to the aesthetic of this pillow. I love ruffles and when I finally have a house of my own to decorate my way there will definitely be a few of these lying around!

No comments:

Post a Comment