Friday, August 24, 2012

Cowboy Meatloaf Casserole

Meatloaf is one of the staples at our house because it is on the short list of meals that everyone enjoys. THIS recipe for Cowboy Meatloaf Casserole interested me because it was a new way to present the same food.
I made my meatloaf the same way I always do and baked it in a larger casserole dish instead of in the bread loaf pan I usually use. It shrank away from the edges a bit but that didn't matter once I covered it with potatoes!
While the meatloaf was baking I boiled red potatoes and made mashed potatoes the way I usually do. (Have you ever added cream cheese to your mashed potatoes?! It makes a world of difference!)
When both were finished I spread the mashed potatoes over the meatloaf and topped it with crumbled bacon (which I had left over from a recipe the day before), sliced green onions, and shredded cheddar cheese.
I threw it back in the oven long enough for the cheese to melt and then cut it into squares to serve. We always eat meatloaf with BBQ sauce, but otherwise it was a meal all on it's own, plus some broccoli on the side. I will definitely be making this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment