Friday, August 24, 2012

Cupcakes!

It was my aunt's birthday so I decided to make her some cupcakes. I am really not a baker so I was excited when I found THIS recipe on Pinterest that claimed to make a box cake mix taste like scratch. 
I had also seen THIS pin for edible glitter and wanted to try it out as an alternative to sprinkles. While I was at it, I found THIS pin for cream cheese frosting. 
Here is a picture of the three piles of "glitter" that were different shades of blue. It looked absolutely nothing like the picture in the pin...although I used sugar instead of salt considering I didn't want my cupcakes to taste gross! 
 Here are the cupcakes before frosting. They EXPLODED out of the muffin cups and I was really worried that they would crumble into a million pieces when I tried to pull them out, but they survived! Next time I should used THIS pin as a guideline for filling the tins.
The cupcakes were VERY light and airy...probably too light and airy for most people's liking. I personally prefer dense, moist cupcakes, and these were not. I don't think I'll be using this recipe again. Next time, I'll just stick to following the directions on the box. No need to pretend to be something it's not!


 The frosting was a bit of a disaster. I didn't pay attention to the fact that it was supposed to be a cinnamon roll frosting, which meant that it was a lot runnier than I was expecting. I didn't feel like frosting all the cupcakes with a knife because I am terrible at doing that, so I dumped all the frosting into a Ziploc bag, cut the corner off, and used it as an impromptu frosting bag to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes. I'm glad I did because it gave some visual interest to the otherwise boring white frosting.

 Finally, I sprinkled the "glitter" onto the cupcakes. While it definitely didn't shine like I was expecting it to based on the terribly misleading picture in the pin, it basically looked like the sugar crystal sprinkles that you can buy at the store.
 Here are the three different shades of blue:


 You can see that the darker the color, the more chunky the sugar got...





Here's the ombre effect of the three different shades all on one tray:


YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment